Problem A7s Battery Package
I had 2 issues with this setup that I had to do some modifications to it.
- Wire setup was way too long in 2 sections.
- Power connection breaks
To connect the battery pack to the camera requires 2 sets of wires, a7 coupler and the 2.1 cable. So its roughly about 2 meters long for those 2 wires. Its good if you need the wire that long but for me I will be using it on the Varavon Zeus Cage which means I have to coil up the long wires to the cage.
Personally it bugs me cause I’m a neat freak. Further more I don’t see myself using the battery pack at such a long distance, (Review on the Varavon Zeus Cage) Since I had a spare a7 coupler for my old A7R, I decided to do some modification to the a7 coupler and the 2.1 cable.
I unscrewed and opened up the a7 coupler. Removed the connection chip and soldered out the wire.
I cut out the 2.1 cable head that connects to the a7 coupler wire.
Soldered the 2.1 cable directly to the a7 coupler chip. Make sure that the polarity is correct. I tied a knot which prevents from accidentally pulling the wire ends off the chip. Originally they just use white silicon glue to hold it in place. Closed back the a7 coupler and screwed back the screw.
Before any modifications were done, when every thing was plugged in and working, every time when I moved the connector a bit it would shut the camera off and then start again. Here is a video I took to inform Varavon about this issue. Sadly there has been no response yet since this post (5 Dec 2015)
I have to try to solve this issue myself by securing the connection so that it will not move accidentally.
This should not be the way. But as long as everything is working fine I’m happy.
UPDATE: 10 Dec 2015
I decided to go ahead and modify the connector. I realised that the connector does not go in deep enough. So I trimmed one section of the plug. And now it fits perfectly. With a loud click when inserted. No more issues with broken connection. Hope this helps others who has the same issue. Below is the latest video how I solved it.